Do you grow ginger? Take it to the next level and make ginger liqueur for homemade garden gifts with style. It makes an exotic, unusual gift that's distinctive and delicious. Plus, it's easy to make, easy to bottle, and with dozens of easy mix drinks recipes available for it, it makes a unique gift idea that will be both remembered and enjoyed.
How to Make Home Brewed Ginger Liqueur
Compliments of Veganbaking.net, use this easy recipe to home brew your own ginger liqueur:
- 1/4 cup ginger, grated
- one bottle vodka (750ml)
- 1/3 cup water, filtered
- 1/2 cup sugar, white
- Put ginger and vodka in a 1/2 gallon glass container, seal tightly and shake thoroughly.
- Place container in a cool, dark place and let sit, for two weeks without disturbing.
- After two weeks, strain ginger from mixture (use cheesecloth or a coffee filter in a funnel), then return mixture to glass container.
- In medium saucepan over low to medium heat, whisk together sugar and water until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour sugar mixture into glass container, cover, and shake vigorously.
- Once again place container in cool, dark place and let sit, undisturbed and covered, for at least another two weeks. The longer the mixture sits, the smoother the ginger liqueur will be.
How to Bottle Your Home Brewed Gift
Although you can use just about any container with a lid to bottle your liqueur, popular favorites include wine bottles with corks, specialty jars with twist-on lids, and reused Grolsch bottles. Grolsch bottles are nice because they look great, have airtight porcelain seals, and incorporate some recycling. Whatever you use however, be sure to clean your container thoroughly using soap and water, and make sure that it is completely dry before you fill it.
Your homemade liqueur should be kept in a cool, dry place. Like all home brewed liqueurs, if it is kept properly sealed and stored, it will probably keep for a year or so.
Your home brewed gift won't be complete without a mixed drink recipe book, so here are some ginger liqueur recipes compliments of Domaine de Canton:
French Ginger Martini
2 parts ginger liqueur
2 parts vodka
1 splash Grand Marnier
Serve up in a chilled martini glass.
1 part ginger liqueur
1 1/2 parts vodka
1/4 part triple sec
2 parts cranberry juice
Shake and serve up in a chilled martini glass. Garnish with with raspberries.
8 parts fresh green tea
1 1/2 parts ginger liqueur
Images thanks to berka, jeff1980 and VeganBaking.net.